The Cooper Union Museum was founded in 1807 by the Hewitt sisters, Sarah, Eleanor and Amy Hewitt, granddaughters of Peter Cooper. In 1963, the museum collection was moved out of the school, because The Cooper Union was cash strapped. It became part of the Smithsonian Institute in 1967.
|NY Times, 11/17/1963: Cooper Union Urged to retain Museum||Cooper Hewitt museum|
|NY Times, April 1, 1972: Carnegie House Given to Cooper Hewitt Museum, by Ada Louise Huxtable||Carnegie House given to Cooper Hewitt Museum|
|NY Times, Sept. 20, 1976: Reborn Cooper-Hewitt Museum has a new Home, by Grace Glueck||Reborn Cooper-Hewitt Museum|
|Cooper Hewitt Website– Timeline: Interlocking Histories||Cooper-Hewitt Museum Timeline|