2019 Archtober is a month long celebration of architecture in New York City. It is organized by the Center for Architecture in collaboration with partners and sponsors. The Cooper Union is one of the sponsors and the Cooper Union will be hosting one Archtober event. Throughout the month there are exhibits and presentations at the Center for Architecture, at museums, and area colleges. Several Architecture firms have opened their studios for tours. And there are tours of some amazing buildings. Each day of the month one sight of architectural interest located in the city is showcased in the media.
Open House New York (OHNY) is another Architecture celebration also occurring during October for one weekend, October 18-19, 2019. Here are the Archtober and OHNY events that showcase alumni designed works, alumni studios, and alumni guides and hosts:
- The National September 11th Memorial & Museum will be hosting multiple events. Dan Libeskind AR’70 was the designer of the Memorial Site Plan. John Leeper AR’85 was one of the project managers for the completion of the museum.
- The Brooklyn Children’s Museum will be the building of the day on October 2nd. There will be a tour beginning at 12 PM, The museum has a rooftop play area designed by Toshiko Mori AR’76. Learn More
- The Cooper Union’s Great Hall will be the site for the RCR Arquitectes: Timeless Lecture on October 7th. Spanish architect, Carme Pigem, will discuss her firm’s projects for the Architectural League/Cooper Union Current Work series. Learn More
- Daniel Libeskind AR’70 will give a lecture on his latest book, Edge of Order, on October 15th, from 6:30pm – 8:00pm, at Memorial Hall, Brooklyn Campus, Pratt Institute. Learn More
- Williamsburg Library will be the site for a panel discussion on library design on October 17th. CU alumni from SITU will be on the panel. The Transforming Brooklyn’s Libraries through Design event will be held from 6:00pm – 8:00pm at the Williamsburg Library, 240 Division Ave, Brooklyn, NY. Learn More
- The Cooper Union’s Great Hall will be the site for the Breaking Ground Architecture by Women panel discussion on October 18th, from 6:30pm – 8:30pm. Two CU alumna, Jean Brownhill AR’00 and Anik Pearson AR’95, are on the panel. Phaidon, The Cooper Union, and the Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation are sponsoring the event. Learn More
- The Cooper Union’s Great Hall will be the site for the Artists and Architects in Collaboration discussion on October 22nd, from 7:00pm – 9:00pm at The Great Hall at The Cooper Union. Learn more
- Diller Scofidio + Renfro, will host Workplace Wednesday on October 23rd. Learn More
2019 Chicago Biennial
2019 Chicago Biennial runs from Sept. 19, 2019 through Jan. 5, 2020. It is organized by a non-profit, Chicago Architectural Biennial. A list of events being held in Chicago can be found here.
Open House New York Events:
Open House New York takes place on October 18-19, 2019. The full list of OHNY events can be seen on that organization website beginning on October 1st. Link Here is a list of events that showcase alumni designed works, alumni studios, and alumni guides and hosts:
- Wes Rozen AR’05 will host an Open Studio Event at Camber Studio, 127 Dikeman Street, in Red Hook, Brooklyn on October 19th and 20th.
- The Pinky Sculpture by Meredith Bergmann A’77 can be seen at the Brooklyn Historical Society which will be featured on October 20th. And her Memorial to September 11th sculpture can be seen at the Cathedral of John Divine
- Crye Precision LLC Designs, founded by Caleb Crye A’00 and Gregg Thompson Eng’00 will be Open on October 19th.
- Grace Church High School, located on Cooper Square, was designed by Jacob Alspector AR’72
- Situ Studio, founded by Basar Girit, Aleksey Lukyanov-Cherny, Wes Rozen, and Bradley Samuels (all AR 05), will be open on October 18th.
This list is a work-in-progress. If you know of other Architecture tours and talks with Alumni connections, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org