Chemical Engineering, 1960
Harrington Park, NJ
Retired (i.e., I can devote the time to be fully immersed in Board matters)
Project & Risk Management; led cost saving teams; trainer and coach in team effectiveness within Research and for Global Business Teams; trained executives in performance management and appraisal; trained and facilitated teams in creativity and innovation.
BChE-Cooper Union; MS ChE-Johns Hopkins U; MS Mathematics-NYU
Unilever (1962-2003) – Director and member of Laboratory Management Committee
Unilever Corporate Representative to the Industrial Research Institute, member of Research-on-Research Committee
Columbia University (2006-2011) – Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
Lander & Associates (2003-2014)-President – Consultants in Project & Risk Management and Team Effectiveness
President, Association of Research Directors
Cooper Union Board of Trustees Communications Committee (non-Board Member)
- To return Cooper Union to a sustainable financial condition that will restore free tuition for undergraduates, while maintaining the very highest academic standards.
- The Schools of Art, Architecture and Engineering are all essential parts of the spirit of The Cooper Union and must be maintained. I will not consider suggestions that we save money by closing any of them.
- To have our school known for projects and activities that have social value.
- To have our faculty recognized for their excellence throughout the academic world.
Short term goals:
- Develop a Mission Statement that includes free tuition for undergraduates.
- Hire a President who fully supports that Mission.
- Develop a financial plan (including a risk assessment) that will be sustainable over the long term (i.e., no “quick fix” that will fail in a few years).
- Restore a sense of shared community and trust across all segments of the Cooper family – faculty, students, alumni, administration and Board of Trustees
- I am passionate about getting back to free tuition quickly, but without unwise risks that got us into the current financial troubles. I will personally dig into our financial data to understand the details.
- My experiences in the corporate, academic and government worlds have given me the skills to work effectively with all parties to restore a cooperative community to The Cooper Union.
- I have a track record of developing out-of-the-box solutions to seemingly intractable problems and implementing those solutions effectively,
- Link to additional material