Bernard Levine EE’44
Bernard Levine grew up in Brooklyn and earned an electrical engineering degree at The Cooper Union in 1944. He began his career at Bendix Aviation. After World War II, he was employed as chief engineer by a military contractor that was later acquired by United Technologies Corporation (UTC). He worked for UTC as divisional general manager.
In 1959, he formed the Vernitron Corporation with two other Cooper Union alumni. Vernitron Corporation was a Manhattan-based maker of motors and electronic components. Bernard was its president and chief executive and retired in 1984.
Mr. Levine supported The Cooper Union through the years as a trustee, fund-raiser and member of many committees of its board of trustees. He also was a director of the Cooper Union Research Foundation (CURF). He hired Cooper Union graduates for his company and supplying the school with laboratory equipment.
Bernard Levine received the CUAA Alumnus of the Year Award in 1983.
He was a founding member of the congregation of the Malverne Jewish Center, where he served as president and treasurer.
Saxon, Wolfgang. “Bernard Levine, an Industrialist And Cooper Union Trustee, 68,” The New York Times. June 29, 1993. Link
photo from Howard Rotz