CUAA EVENTS RECAP
2021 has been a busy year for CUAA events. The calendar has been filled with casual gatherings, talks by fellow alumni, and even a virtual trip to a venue we look forward to visiting in person again in the future. Here is a snapshot of events we’ve hosted so far this year, including links to watch the recordings (where available):
- Trivia Night: The Sequel! | After the success of our initial trivia night in December 2020 as part of our First Tuesdays series, this second installation provided another evening of fun competition through five rounds of questions on a variety of topics.
- NYC Future Perfect: Wind Power and the Waterfront | As part of our Alumni Showcase series, Karen Bausman, AR’82, gave a talk on a new project to develop one of the largest offshore wind farms in the world supporting a manufacturing base located in New York City.
- Talk and Toast: A Trip Through the Peter Cooper Archives | This First Tuesdays event, which was part of the Cooper Together 2021 Global Block Party, featured Lisa Norberg, Director of The Cooper Union Library, sharing some of rare, unique, and fantastic manuscripts and materials that document the life of Peter Cooper.
- CUAA Founder’s Day Awards Ceremony | Our annual celebration honoring Cooper alumni who have excelled in the fields of Art, Architecture, Engineering, and Public Service.
- Art & Influence: Don Kunz | This Alumni Showcase featured the work of Cooper Union alumni who studied with the late Don Kunz, Professor of Painting and Calligraphy at Cooper Union between 1969 and 2001.
- The Art of Trivia | The popularity of our First Tuesdays trivia nights inspired this art-themed version, which featured several rounds about the visual arts (including some specifically related to Cooper Union).
- Found in Space | In this Alumni Showcase, Larry Hausman, EE’94, shared his experiences of working on some rather interesting NASA projects.
- Trivia Night: Season Finale! | With the 2020-21 CUAA year coming to a close at the end of June, we hosted our trivia night season finale. This First Tuesdays event was a free-for-all, with five fun/challenging/informative rounds of questions covering a multitude of random topics.
- Growing Up Ugly | This Alumni Showcase featured James H. Rolling, Jr., A’88, discussing his latest book, “Growing Up Ugly: Memoirs of a Black Boy Daydreaming,” and its deeper implications about fostering personal resilience and social renaissance after crisis.
- CUAA@Green-Wood | (Alumni Excursion) Barry Drogin, EE’83, led a virtual visit to the Cooper and Hewitt family gravesite at Green-Wood Cemetery, including the Peter Cooper monument, the Abram Hewitt column, and the gravestones of other members of the Cooper/Hewitt families.
- June 1 | Recollections of Green Camp | As part of the Cooper Union Reunion 2021 programming, the CUAA hosted a storytelling hour during which several alumni shared recollections of their time spent at Green Camp.